•Symptom – The client was unable to promote the Windows 2012 server named “pta_t30” as an additional domain controller in their windows 2003 domain t6.local.
•Cause – We were getting the error: Verification of replica failed. The forest functional level is Windows 2000. To install a Windows Server 2012 domain or domain controller, the forest functional level must be Windows Server 2003 or higher.
•Resolution – We performed the following steps so as to get the issue resolved:
– Ensured that the health of the Domain is good.
– Corrected the Time settings in the registry on secondary domain controller.
– The windows 2012 server named “pta_t30” was getting the IP address from DHCP so we assigned the Static IP address.
– Corrected the NIC binding and the provided order on “pta_t30”.
– Ensured that we are able to ping the domain and DC’s from 2012 server named “pta_t30”
– Raised the forest functional level to Windows 2003 and forced Active Directory replication.
– Ensured that we are able to promote the 2012 server as a Domain controller.
• How to Promote Windows Server 2012 as a Domain Controller:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14505.how-to-promote-windows-server-2012-as-a-domain-controller.aspx
• Understanding Domain and Forest Functional Levels:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771294.aspx.
• Understanding Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Functional Levels: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/understanding-active-directory-functional-levels(v=ws.10).aspx
• Configure an authoritative time server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
If you have any request regarding Magwinya Wired support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding our service, Themba Twala or Deon van der Walt would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.